Many parents and families have questions regarding the COVID-19 (Coronavirus). SMSD has created a site for you all to receive the most up to date information.
Please visit the following link for the most up-to-date information about SMSD’s response to COVID-19 (coronavirus). The district will continue to monitor developments, and will revise the district response/pandemic plan as appropriate.
In order to continue to track influenza activity in our school, please email the school nurse the following information if your student is diagnosed with influenza:
• When symptoms started
• Which strain (if tested)
• Whether student received a flu vaccine this season
*** Exclusion policy for influenza***
Persons testing positive for influenza need to be out of school for five days from the start of symptoms AND fever-free for 24 hours without the use of fever reducing medications.
Return to School Calendar for Influenza:
(Day symptoms started, Return to school day – if fever free for 24 hours)
Monday, return to school Saturday (Monday)
Tuesday, return to school Sunday (Monday)
Wednesday, return to school Monday
Thursday, return to school Tuesday
Friday, return to school Wednesday
Saturday, return to school Thursday
Sunday, return to school Friday
If you have questions regarding other illnesses, feel free to contact me in the Nurse Office @ 913-993-0607
Remember these everyday habits that can help prevent the spread of several viruses!
• Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
• Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
• Stay home when you are sick.
• Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
• Clean and disinfect frequently-touched objects and surfaces using a regular household cleaning spray or wipe.
• Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after going to the bathroom; before eating; and after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing.
• If soap and water are not readily available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol. Always wash hands with soap and water if hands are visibly dirty.
Thanks for your help in keeping our students and staff safe and healthy!
Holly Gunter MSN, BSN, RN
Indian Woods Middle School
Follow me on twitter! @nursehollyIWMS